The Bible talks a lot about being humble. Most of us don’t like to be humble because we associate it with being insignificant, and our pride can’t have that. Pride tries to keep God out of the equation of our life. It tries to take credit for the things that God does. I think that’s why God detests it so much. He works hard to put the right solutions in our lives at the right time. Somehow, our pride helps us to look past God to help us believe we did it all on our own.
The more we believe we were the causes of the great things in our lives, the less we feel we need God. We relegate Him to nothing more than our emergency call when there’s something we can’t do. God doesn’t want to be just your 9-1-1 call. He wants to be involved in area aspect of your life, but it takes us being humble to let Him have control when there’s no emergency. Humility keeps us in constant relationship with Him. That’s why it so important.
Here are some of my favorite verses on being humble.
1. Humble yourselves, then, under God’s mighty hand, so that he will lift you up in his own good time.
1 Peter 5:6 GNB
2. He leads the humble in what is right, and the humble He teaches His way.
Psalm 25:9 AMP
3. He mocks proud mockers but shows favor to the humble and oppressed.
Proverbs 3:34 NIV
4. Always be humble and gentle. Be patient with each other, making allowance for each other’s faults because of your love.
Ephesians 4:2 NLT
5. Happy are those who are humble; they will receive what God has promised!
Matthew 5:5 GNB
6. He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.
Micah 6:8 NIV
7. Let this same attitude and purpose and [humble] mind be in you which was in Christ Jesus: [Let Him be your example in humility].
Philippians 2:5 AMP
8. Poor and humble people will once again find the happiness which the Lord, the holy God of Israel, gives.
Isaiah 29:19 GNB
9. If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 NIV
10. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up in honor.
James 4:10 NLT