Being a leader is not something you’re elected to or appointed to. It’s something you earn day in and day out. Leadership is developed over time and displayed in the trenches. I’ve learned that people will work for managers, but give their heart to leaders. People quit on managers in hard times, but follow leaders through them. It takes guts to be a leader. They have to be out front, constantly communicate the vision, and trust others with their dream. They understand that a team works best when it is symbiotic.
The Bible has a lot to say about leadership. It gives examples of great leaders, servant leaders, and leaders who were poor examples. I believe we can learn from all types of leaders and implement their strategies into our lives. Believe it or not, someone is following you. They look up to you and that makes you a leader. You have a responsibility to learn about how to be a great leader so those following can lead the ones who are following them.
Here are some of my favorite Bible verses on leadership.
1. Don’t let anyone think less of you because you are young. Be an example to all believers in what you say, in the way you live, in your love, your faith, and your purity.
1 Timothy 4:12 NLT
2. Love and truth form a good leader; sound leadership is founded on loving integrity.
Proverbs 20:28 MSG
3. Do your best to win full approval in God’s sight, as a worker who is not ashamed of his work, one who correctly teaches the message of God’s truth.
2 Timothy 2:15 GNT
4. But as for you, be strong and courageous, for your work will be rewarded.
2 Chronicles 15:7 NLT
5. Good leadership is a channel of water controlled by GOD; he directs it to whatever ends he chooses.
Proverbs 21:1 MSG
6. Elders who provide effective leadership must be counted worthy of double honor, especially those who work hard in speaking and teaching.
1 Timothy 5:17 NET
7. The mark of a good leader is loyal followers; leadership is nothing without a following.
Proverbs 14:28 MSG
8. All of you together are Christ’s body, and each of you is a part of it. Here are some of the parts God has appointed for the church: first are apostles, second are prophets, third are teachers, then those who do miracles, those who have the gift of healing, those who can help others, those who have the gift of leadership, those who speak in unknown languages.
1 Corinthians 12:27-28 NLT
9. Without good direction, people lose their way; the more wise counsel you follow, the better your chances.
Proverbs 11:14 MSG
10. If your gift is to encourage others, be encouraging. If it is giving, give generously. If God has given you leadership ability, take the responsibility seriously. And if you have a gift for showing kindness to others, do it gladly.
Romans 12:8 NLT