With Spring Break coming up, the vacation season will begin. Vacations are meant to be a time of rest and recharging, but how many times do we come back from vacation tired? We typically say, “I need a vacation after my vacation.” It’s good to do things on vacation, but not at the expense of giving your body and mind the rest it needs to recharge. There has to be some balance. We weren’t made to go, go, go 24/7/365.
Even God took a day of rest after creating the universe and everything in it. He understands the importance of rest. In fact, He mandated that we take time to rest. It’s in the Ten Commandments after all. Throughout the Bible, we are encouraged to find rest. God knows we are unable to fulfill our calling and our responsibilities when we are burned out.
To help remind us to get some rest, here are some verses in the Bible concerning it.
1. God has told his people, “Here is a place of rest; let the weary rest here. This is a place of quiet rest.” But they would not listen.
Isaiah 28:12 NLT
2. Work six days and rest the seventh. Stop working even during plowing and harvesting.
Exodus 34:21 MSG
3. Now, God has offered us the promise that we may receive that rest he spoke about. Let us take care, then, that none of you will be found to have failed to receive that promised rest.
Hebrews 4:1 GNT
4. Return to your rest, O my soul, for the Lord has dealt bountifully with you.
Psalm 116:7 AMP
5. The LORD is my shepherd; I have all that I need. He lets me rest in green meadows; he leads me beside peaceful streams. He renews my strength. He guides me along right paths, bringing honor to his name.
Psalms 23:1-3 NLT
6. There were so many people coming and going that Jesus and his disciples didn’t even have time to eat. So he said to them, “Let us go off by ourselves to some place where we will be alone and you can rest a while.”
Mark 6:31 GNT
7. It is useless for you to work so hard from early morning until late at night, anxiously working for food to eat; for God gives rest to his loved ones.
Psalms 127:2 NLT
8. Be still and rest in the Lord; wait for Him and patiently lean yourself upon Him; fret not yourself because of him who prospers in his way, because of the man who brings wicked devices to pass.
Psalm 37:7 AMP
9. As it is, however, there still remains for God’s people a rest like God’s resting on the seventh day.
Hebrews 4:9 GNT
10. Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.
Matthew 11:28-30 MSG