One of the things I tell people is, “Practice doesn’t make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Perfect practice makes perfect.” By practicing perfectly, you can train your mind and body to respond a certain way and create muscle memory,. What we do in practice, is what we do in the game. It’s why professional athletes put in hours of practice for a game that lasts a couple of hours. Coaches draw up plays, but if they’re not practiced over and over again, the execution of those plans will fail in the game.
Our playbook is the Bible. It has God’s plans for us on how to live, how to conquer the enemy, how to defeat temptation, how to live a life of love, how to endure hard times, and so on. If we don’t read it or study it, how will we know how God wants us to live? God wants us to put His word into practice in our lives every day. He wants us to be victorious so He’s given us a way to do it, but we have to learn it first. We have to study our playbook and then put it into practice.
Here are some verses in the Bible to remind us of the importance of knowing God’s Word and of putting it into practice.
1. My friends, what good is it for one of you to say that you have faith if your actions do not prove it? Can that faith save you?So it is with faith: if it is alone and includes no actions, then it is dead.
James 2:14, 17 GNT
2. I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.
Psalms 119:11 NLT
3. Practice God’s law—get a reputation for wisdom.
Proverbs 28:7a MSG
4. LET LOVE for your fellow believers continue and be a fixed practice with you [never let it fail].
Hebrews 13:1 AMP
5. Now that you know this truth, how happy you will be if you put it into practice!
John 13:17 GNT
6. Jesus replied, “But even more blessed are all who hear the word of God and put it into practice.”
Luke 11:28 NLT
7. Jesus, undeterred, went right ahead and gave his charge: “God authorized and commanded me to commission you: Go out and train everyone you meet, far and near, in this way of life, marking them by baptism in the threefold name: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Then instruct them in the practice of all I have commanded you. I’ll be with you as you do this, day after day after day, right up to the end of the age.”
Matthew 28:18-20 MSG
8. Practice and cultivate and meditate upon these duties; throw yourself wholly into them [as your ministry], so that your progress may be evident to everybody.
1 Timothy 4:15 AMP
9. But if you look closely into the perfect law that sets people free, and keep on paying attention to it and do not simply listen and then forget it, but put it into practice—you will be blessed by God in what you do.
James 1:25 GNT
10. Keep putting into practice all you learned and received from me—everything you heard from me and saw me doing. Then the God of peace will be with you.
Philippians 4:9 NLT