Fasting is a discipline that many of us hide from. Sure we participate when the whole church fasts each year, but how often do we do it on our own? Fasting feeds your spirit rather than your body. It says, “Flesh, I’ve given you what you’ve wanted for a while now. It’s time I denied you what you want in order to give my spirit what it wants.” Denying your flesh produces stronger prayers, promotes spiritual growth, and activates answers from heaven. Every Christian should fast as they’re able to.
My friends at United Cry are starting a 30 day fast today to pray for the results of the election. We need to pray that God would help us to elect the leader He wants us to have. We need to pray that God would wake up the Church from her slumber so she would take an active role in shaping culture. We need revival fires to burn across America and the world. We are in a desperate situation in need of God’s providence, and I believe that when we return to fasting and prayer, we will change the course of history.
Here are some Bible verses on fasting.
1. So I directed my attention to the Lord God to seek Him by prayer and supplications, with fasting, sackcloth and ashes.
DANIEL 9:3 AMP
2. “But even now,” says the Lord, “repent sincerely and return to me with fasting and weeping and mourning.”
Joel 2:12 GNT
3. Announce a time of fasting; call the people together for a solemn meeting. Bring the leaders and all the people of the land into the Temple of the LORD your God, and cry out to him there.
Joel 1:14 NLT
4. So we fasted and sought [help from] our God concerning this [matter], and He heard our plea.
EZRA 8:23 AMP
5. The people of Nineveh believed God’s message. So they decided that everyone should fast, and all the people, from the greatest to the least, put on sackcloth to show that they had repented.
Jonah 3:5 GNT
6. And when you fast, don’t make it obvious, as the hypocrites do, for they try to look miserable and disheveled so people will admire them for their fasting. I tell you the truth, that is the only reward they will ever get.
Matthew 6:16 NLT
One final thought. Abraham Lincoln was once asked if he thought God was on the side of the Union. His response was, “Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God’s side, for God is always right.” As you fast and pray over this election, ask God to help you be on His side rather than asking Him to be on your side. We need God’s help more than a political leader’s help.