One of Jesus’ most consistent messages was that we love each other. He once said it was the second greatest commandment. The word He used for love that He used so often was “agapao” or agape love. That type of love is unconditional. He wasn’t telling us to love the people who agree with us or the people we like. He was telling us to love everyone unconditionally. God is no respect or of persons, and Jesus was telling us to be the same way.
Loving God comes easy for many of us. Jesus told us that whoever was forgiven most, loves Him most. The hard part is to love those who don’t forgive you and those who hate you. Right now, people are so divided because we haven’t practiced love first. If we are truly going to love the way God wants us to, we are going to have to find a way to love people we fundamentally disagree with. Don’t wait for others to start doing it. Make a commitment to God to let it start with you.
Here are some verses on loving others.
1. But remember the root command: Love one another.
John 15:17 MSG
2. But anyone who does not love does not know God, for God is love.
1 John 4:8 NLT
3. Let everything you do be done in love (true love to God and man as inspired by God’s love for us).
1 Corinthians 16:14 AMPC
4. Jesus replied, “‘You must love the LORD your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. A second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.'”
Matthew 22:37-39 NLT
5. Above everything, love one another earnestly, because love covers over many sins.
1 Peter 4:8 GNT
6. Why should God reward you if you love only the people who love you? Even the tax collectors do that!
Matthew 5:46 GNT
7. Don’t just pretend to love others. Really love them. Hate what is wrong. Hold tightly to what is good.
Romans 12:9 NLT
8. But I tell you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.
Matthew 5:44 AMPC
9. My children, our love should not be just words and talk; it must be true love, which shows itself in action.
1 John 3:18 GNT
10. Let me give you a new command: Love one another. In the same way I loved you, you love one another. This is how everyone will recognize that you are my disciples—when they see the love you have for each other.
John 13:34-35 MSG