I read a quote that I found interesting by Randy Hurst, the Assemblies of God World Missions Director of Advancement. He said, “We can’t call them our enemy when God has called them our harvest.” As a Christian, anyone who isn’t a Christian is a person God loves as much as you. What right do we have to hold hate in our heart against any people group if they are the very ones we are supposed to be winning for the kingdom?
We have to lose the mentality that it’s us against them so we can love them enough to lead them to Christ. Jesus was always moved by compassion and it resonated with the people He was trying to reach. If He could be compassionate while speaking the truth in love, so can we. It starts with us seeing God’s image in others. If we are looking for sin in sinners, we’ll surely find it. If we are looking for God’s fingerprints, we’ll find that too. When we see His handiwork, we’ll see them as His harvest and start working to reap the harvest.
Here are some Bible verses on harvesting people.
1. The one who plants and the one who waters work together with the same purpose. And both will be rewarded for their own hard work. For we are both God’s workers. And you are God’s field. You are God’s building.
1 Corinthians 3:8-9 NLT
2. When He saw the throngs, He was moved with pity and sympathy for them, because they were bewildered (harassed and distressed and dejected and helpless), like sheep without a shepherd. Then He said to His disciples, The harvest is indeed plentiful, but the laborers are few. So pray to the Lord of the harvest to force out and thrust laborers into His harvest.
Matthew 9:36-38 AMPC
3. But the seed planted in the good earth represents those who hear the Word, embrace it, and produce a harvest beyond their wildest dreams.
Mark 4:20 MSG
4. You have a saying, ‘Four more months and then the harvest.’ But I tell you, take a good look at the fields; the crops are now ripe and ready to be harvested! The one who reaps the harvest is being paid and gathers the crops for eternal life; so the one who plants and the one who reaps will be glad together.
John 4:35-36 GNT
5. If you plant in the field of your natural desires, from it you will gather the harvest of death; if you plant in the field of the Spirit, from the Spirit you will gather the harvest of eternal life.
Galatians 6:8 GNT