When my family and I are walking somewhere, my son tries to take the lead even though he should be following. He had no idea where we are going, but he wants to be first. “Are we going this way,” he asks. I smile and keep walking. “What about this way? Are we going over here?” I tell him to follow and he’ll find out. I want him to learn to trust our lead and to quit trying to be first. It’s more important to arrive at the right place second that at the wrong place first.
That’s how many of us are with God while He’s trying to lead us. We keep guessing where He might want to take us, and we run off asking, “Is this what you want me to do? Is this where you want me to go?” Being impatient is what gets us to the wrong place first. Listening to His voice and following where He leads is what we need to be doing. Quit trying to lead the Lord and start being led by Him.
Here are some verses on being led by God.
1. Teach me how to live, O LORD. Lead me along the right path, for my enemies are waiting for me.
Psalms 27:11 NLT
2. And lead (bring) us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one. For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.
Matthew 6:13 AMPC
3. Hurry with your answer, GOD! I’m nearly at the end of my rope. Don’t turn away; don’t ignore me! That would be certain death. If you wake me each morning with the sound of your loving voice, I’ll go to sleep each night trusting in you. Point out the road I must travel; I’m all ears, all eyes before you. Save me from my enemies, GOD — you’re my only hope! Teach me how to live to please you, because you’re my God. Lead me by your blessed Spirit into cleared and level pastureland.
Psalm 143:7-10 MSG
4. May the Lord lead you into a greater understanding of God’s love and the endurance that is given by Christ.
2 Thessalonians 3:5 GNT
5. Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. Point out anything in me that offends you, and lead me along the path of everlasting life.
Psalms 139:23-24 NLT