My parents bought a basketball goal for my birthday one year. Because it was the newest, all the kids on the street would come over to play ball in our driveway. We wanted to practice our free throws, so I measured out 15 feet by standing directly under the goal and put my feet end to end 15 times and marked a line. One of the neighbor kids said that wasn’t 15 feet, and he did the same thing and drew a different line. After several of us went and we were arguing over which was 15 feet, my dad came out with a tape measure and marked it.
Unfortunately in our world today, the argument for what is truth has become the same way we measured the free throw line. Each person tries to measure it for themselves and it gets all of us arguing. The problem with that is that there is a measuring tape to determine what is truth, and it’s the Word of God. Truth has not become relative to whomever holds it because there is still an absolute standard God’s Word. It has not changed, and we must remember to see it as such in today’s world.
Here are some Bible verses about truth.
1. So we must listen very carefully to the truth we have heard, or we may drift away from it. For the message God delivered through angels has always stood firm.
Hebrews 2:1-2 NLT
2. So stand ready, with truth as a belt tight around your waist, with righteousness as your breastplate, and as your shoes the readiness to announce the Good News of peace. At all times carry faith as a shield; for with it you will be able to put out all the burning arrows shot by the Evil One. And accept salvation as a helmet, and the word of God as the sword which the Spirit gives you.
Ephesians 6:14-17 GNT
3. So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed Him, “If you continue in My word, you really are My disciples. You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”
John 8:31-32 HCSB
4. (Jesus praying for us) I’m not asking you to take them out of the world, but to keep them safe from the evil one. They do not belong to this world any more than I do. Make them holy by your truth; teach them your word, which is truth. Just as you sent me into the world, I am sending them into the world.
John 17:15-18 NLT
5. Jesus said to him, “ I am the [only] Way [to God] and the [real] Truth and the [real] Life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.
JOHN 14:6 AMP