When I was growing up, nearly every store had a person from the Salvation Army out front ringing a bell. They would be outside from Black Friday until Christmas. People would put their change in the bucket and the Salvation Army would use that to help the poor and needy. These days, you don’t see many of those bell ringers with buckets. It’s sad to me. If nothing else, they were a reminder that there are people who are poor among us and need help.
Jesus told us that there would always be poor people who needed help. He often encouraged people to help them. This time of year is particularly hard for people who live check to check. They now have to somehow find a way to buy a tree, presents and decoration. Christmas can be expensive. This season of giving, keep your eye open and your heart available to hear from God. He still cares for the poor and uses others to meet their needs.
Here are some Bible verses about helping those in need.
1. She extends a helping hand to the poor and opens her arms to the needy.
Proverbs 31:20 NLT
2. Give to the poor and you will never be in need. If you close your eyes to the poor, many people will curse you.
Proverbs 28:27 GNT
3. Do not neglect to do good, to contribute [to the needy of the church as an expression of fellowship], for such sacrifices are always pleasing to God.
HEBREWS 13:16 AMP
4. Mercy to the needy is a loan to GOD, and GOD pays back those loans in full.
Proverbs 19:17 MSG
5. But when you help a needy person, do it in such a way that even your closest friend will not know about it.
Matthew 6:3 GNB