I think adoption is one of God’s greatest gifts to mankind. I have watched many of my friends adopt children and love them as if they birthed them. It gives hope and identity to children who are orphaned. Adoption doesn’t create a perfect family, it opens the doors for love to come in and heal. God has always looked out for the orphan and provided a way to bring them into a family. It’s a beautiful thing.
When sin entered the world, we became orphans ourselves. We lost our identity and our way, but God, in His great mercy, sent Jesus into the world to begin the adoption process. His birth signaled that God’s love for us was greater than our sin, and that He desired to bring us into His family. Spiritual adoption, just like physical adoption, gives the child all rights and privileges as if they were born into that family. You and I are officially children of the King of Kings. We are royal heirs thanks to adoption made possible by Jesus.
Here are some verses on being children of God.
1. When the time came to completion, God sent His Son, born of a woman, born under the law, to redeem those under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons…So you are no longer a slave but a son, and if a son, then an heir through God.
Galatians 4:4-5, 7 HCSB
2. Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has become a child of God. And everyone who loves the Father loves his children, too.
1 John 5:1 NLT
3. You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your friends, hate your enemies.’ But now I tell you: love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may become the children of your Father in heaven. For he makes his sun to shine on bad and good people alike, and gives rain to those who do good and to those who do evil.
Matthew 5:43-45 GNT
4. So you have not received a spirit that makes you fearful slaves. Instead, you received God’s Spirit when he adopted you as his own children. Now we call him, “Abba, Father.” For his Spirit joins with our spirit to affirm that we are God’s children.
Romans 8:15-16 NLT
5. For you [who are born-again have been reborn from above–spiritually transformed, renewed, sanctified and] are all children of God [set apart for His purpose with full rights and privileges] through faith in Christ Jesus.
GALATIANS 3:26 AMP