Several years ago, my then boss was near our office when she got caught in a flash flood. There was a thunderstorm sitting over us that was dumping huge amounts of rain. I went outside into the storm to push her car into the parking lot. At some point, I lost my wedding ring in the knee high waters. I spent more than an hour on my hands and knees in the middle of the storm trying to find my ring. I must have gone back and forth a more than a dozen times before I finally found it.
When the Bible uses the word “seek”, that’s what it’s talking about. It’s a relentless pursuit of something despite the obstacles, dangers or odds. It’s a single-minded focus that is determined to find something. The Bible mentions many thing we are to seek including God’s presence. How many times do we give up in our seeking because we don’t find it right away? God wants us to pursue Him and His righteousness until we’ve found Him. Don’t give up before you find what you’re looking for.
Here are some Bible verses on seeking.
1. Therefore if you have been raised with Christ [to a new life, sharing in His resurrection from the dead], keep seeking the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.
COLOSSIANS 3:1 AMP
2. Seek the LORD and His strength; Seek His face continually [longing to be in His presence].
1 CHRONICLES 16:11 AMP
3. But first and most importantly seek (aim at, strive after) His kingdom and His righteousness [His way of doing and being right–the attitude and character of God], and all these things will be given to you also.
MATTHEW 6:33 AMP
4. This [is what] I command you: that you love and unselfishly seek the best for one another.
JOHN 15:17 AMP
5. Seek and deeply long for the LORD and His strength [His power, His might]; Seek and deeply long for His face and His presence continually.
PSALM 105:4 AMP