In our world, there is so much emphasis on leading and so little on following. Even my young son wants to lead wherever we go. He wants to be out front leading the way. The problem is that He has no clue where we are going most of the time. That doesn’t change the fact that he wants to be out front. What he has to learn is that before he, or anyone, can be a good leader, they have to be a good follower first. If everyone is trying to lead, and no one is following, it creates chaos.
No one knows where your life is going better than God, yet for most of our life we are out front like my son trying to beat Him there. Thankfully God is patient with us as we learn to follow Him. As we get better at following Him, our prayers often change from “God, where are you taking me” to “God, would you please lead me?” If we want to know where He’s taking us, we’ll try to get out front again. If we want Him to lead us, then it doesn’t matter because we fully trust in His timing and destination for our lives.
Here are some Bible verses on following and leading.
1. Point out anything in me that offends you, and lead me along the path of everlasting life.
Psalms 139:24 NLT
2. I follow faithfully the road he chooses, and never wander to either side.
Job 23:11 GNT
3. The sheep that are My own hear My voice and listen to Me; I know them, and they follow Me.
JOHN 10:27 AMP
4. He leads the humble in the right way and teaches them his will.
Psalm 25:9 GNT
5. Jesus spoke to the people once more and said, “I am the light of the world. If you follow me, you won’t have to walk in darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life.”
John 8:12 NLT