One of the things my son has been into for about five years is the solar system and space. As I write this, there are three different homemade solar systems on the floor of my office that he has made depicting the different sizes of the planets. Some of his favorite videos are those that line the planets up from smallest to greatest and then the start bringing in stars. It’s not long into the video before earth and then our sun are no longer visible compared to the other stars in the universe. When you put things in that perspective, it’s humbling to think about how small we truly are in comparison to God’s creation. It’s also humbling to think that a universe that size exists in Him.
If we love our lives comparing ourselves to the things we’ve done or that are around us, pride can set in. We can look at our accomplishments and think we’ve done great things. It’s when we look outward to what God has done that we realize how small our accomplishments are. All throughout the Bible God speaks to us about the importance of being humble. I think what He’s really asking us to do is to keep our eyes fixed on Him instead of ourselves. When we are looking at His greatness and our own unworthiness of His gifts to us, we find the humility He wants us to have. As we bring our own weaknesses into focus, we begin to see His all sufficient grace that empowers us to do His will. Nothing we accomplish is of our own accord. It’s all through His strength, His provision and His direction. When we look at things that way, we will stay humble.
Here are some Bible verses on being humble.
1. If you return to the Almighty [and submit and humble yourself before Him], you will be built up [and restored].
JOB 22:23 AMP
2. Be always humble, gentle, and patient. Show your love by being tolerant with one another.
Ephesians 4:2 GNT
3. Remember this: If you have a lofty opinion of yourself and seek to be honored, you will be humbled. But if you have a modest opinion of yourself and choose to humble yourself, you will be honored.
Matthew 23:12 TPT
4. God blesses those who are humble, for they will inherit the whole earth.
Matthew 5:5 NLT
5. Humble yourselves [with an attitude of repentance and insignificance] in the presence of the Lord, and He will exalt you [He will lift you up, He will give you purpose].
JAMES 4:10 AMP