The Bible starts off with the story of creation. It describes that the earth was full of darkness. Then God said, “Let there be light.” All throughout the Bible God is associated with light. In John 1, Jesus is described as the Light of men. Then it says that His light shines in the darkness of this world, alluding to the darkness of sin. On the Sermon on the Mount, in Matthew 5, Jesus tell us that we are now the light of the world. We are still surrounded by darkness and our light is just as necessary as it was in the beginning. Wherever you go today, let your light shine bright so that others can find hope and salvation.
Here are some Bible verses on being the light.
1. The people who live in darkness will see a great light. On those who live in the dark land of death the light will shine.
Matthew 4:16 GNT
2. Jesus once again addressed them: “I am the world’s Light. No one who follows me stumbles around in the darkness. I provide plenty of light to live in.”
John 8:12 MSG
3. For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light.
Ephesians 5:8 NIV
4. But you are not like that, for you are a chosen people. You are royal priests, a holy nation, God’s very own possession. As a result, you can show others the goodness of God, for he called you out of the darkness into his wonderful light.
1 Peter 2:9 NLT
5. You are the light of [Christ to] the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden.
Matthew 5:14 AMP