This week I’m reflecting on ten years of writing devotions. The most important thing that has happened to me through this process is that I have grown to know God more deeply through His Word. It’s something that each of us as believers need to do. Our daily reading shouldn’t be about quantity, but quality. I’ve learned to read it until I hear from God and see how something applies to my life and yours. The Bible was given to us to train us, to correct us, to real God to us and so much more. The more we dig into it, meditate on it and apply it, the more like Christ we will be.
Here are some Bible verses on the benefits of reading and applying God’s Word.
1. Study this Book of Instruction continually. Meditate on it day and night so you will be sure to obey everything written in it. Only then will you prosper and succeed in all you do.
Joshua 1:8 NLT
2. Blessed [fortunate, prosperous, and favored by God] is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked [following their advice and example], Nor stand in the path of sinners, Nor sit [down to rest] in the seat of scoffers (ridiculers). But his delight is in the law of the Lord, And on His law [His precepts and teachings] he [habitually] meditates day and night.
Psalms 1:1-2 AMP
3. Every scripture is inspired by God and useful for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the person dedicated to God may be capable and equipped for every good work.
2 Timothy 3:16-17 NET
4. “God means what he says. What he says goes. His powerful Word is sharp as a surgeon’s scalpel, cutting through everything, whether doubt or defense, laying us open to listen and obey. Nothing and no one can resist God’s Word. We can’t get away from it—no matter what.
Hebrews 4:12-13 MSG
5. Yahweh’s Word is perfect in every way; how it revives our souls! Yahweh’s laws lead us to truth, and his ways change the simple into wise. Yahweh’s teachings are right and make us joyful; his precepts are so pure! Yahweh’s commands challenge us to keep close to his heart! The revelation-light of his Word makes my spirit shine radiant.
Psalms 19:7-8 TPT