What I’ve learned is that most of us seek to be understood, but only a few of us seek to understand. That holds true in our relationship with God. How many times have we used our prayers to try to convince God of something so He’d understand our need. Matthew 6:8 says God knows our need before we even ask. What if we spent our time in prayer seeking to understand God more and His will. His ways are definitely higher than ours, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t seek to understand them. We can ask God to increase our understanding of Him, our situation and others. In the process we will grow and become more like Him.
Here are some Bible verses on seeking understanding.
1. Cry out for insight, and ask for understanding.
Proverbs 2:3 NLT
2. The beginning of wisdom is: Get [skillful and godly] wisdom [it is preeminent]! And with all your acquiring, get understanding [actively seek spiritual discernment, mature comprehension, and logical interpretation].
Proverbs 4:7 AMP
3. Wisdom is enshrined in an understanding heart; wisdom is not found among fools.
Proverbs 14:33 NLT
4. Then he said, “Don’t be afraid, Daniel. Since the first day you began to pray for understanding and to humble yourself before your God, your request has been heard in heaven. I have come in answer to your prayer.
Daniel 10:12 NLT
5. Now may the Lord move your hearts into a greater understanding of God’s pure love for you and into Christ’s steadfast endurance.
2 Thessalonians 3:5 TPT