When you see or know of someone who needs help, do you feel bad for them, and then go about your day? Or do you allow your schedule to be disrupted? I always think of two stories when I’m faced with that scenario. First I think of the Good Samaritan who disrupted his day to render aid while everyone else passed by. The other is in Matthew 25 when Jesus was telling the people about judgement day. He separated people into two groups. One group visited the sick, clothed the naked and ministered to prisoners, the others did not. He said that when we help the least, we’re helping Him. I can’t help but wonder what His response will be to me if I say I was too busy, too distracted or too apathetic to help someone in need. Who knows if God changes our path or someone else’s some days so that He can express His love through our help.
Here are some Bible verses on helping others.
1. And I have been a constant example of how you can help those in need by working hard. You should remember the words of the Lord Jesus: ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’”
Acts of the Apostles 20:35 NLT
2. And let our people learn to devote themselves to good works, so as to help cases of urgent need, and not be unfruitful.
Titus 3:14 ESV
3. Help carry one another’s burdens, and in this way you will obey the law of Christ.
Galatians 6:2 GNT
4. If you think you are somebody too important to stoop down to help another (when really you are not), you are living in deception.
Galatians 6:3 TPT
5. Do not forget to do good and to help one another, because these are the sacrifices that please God.
Hebrews 13:16 GNT
Photo by Matthias Zomer: