I’m not sure why, but sometimes the hardest thing to do is to give ourselves and others grace. Remember that you are a work in progress. I like to think of it as a construction project. Some projects are a big mess while they’re being built. Others make it hard to see any progress until they’re complete. Each project is different, and we need to give the foreman time and room to work on our lives. When I was a kid, we would sing, “God’s still working on me / to make me who I ought to be / it took Him just a week to make the moon and stars / the sun and the moon and Jupiter and Mars / how loving and patient He must be / because He’s still working on me. That song still reminds me that I’m under construction and God is building in my life. It’s important that you remember that too.
Here are some Bible verses on being built up.
1. So the church throughout Judea and Galilee and Samaria enjoyed peace [without persecution], being built up [in wisdom, virtue, and faith]; and walking in the fear of the Lord and in the comfort and encouragement of the Holy Spirit, it continued to grow [in numbers].
Acts 9:31 AMP
2. As you come to him, a living stone rejected by men but in the sight of God chosen and precious, you yourselves like living stones are being built up as a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.
1 Peter 2:4-5 ESV
3. Therefore as you have received Christ Jesus the Lord, walk in [union with] Him [reflecting His character in the things you do and say—living lives that lead others away from sin], having been deeply rooted [in Him] and now being continually built up in Him and [becoming increasingly more] established in your faith, just as you were taught, and overflowing in it with gratitude.
Colossians 2:6-7 AMP
4. For his “body” has been formed in his image and is closely joined together and constantly connected as one. And every member has been given divine gifts to contribute to the growth of all; and as these gifts operate effectively throughout the whole body, we are built up and made perfect in love.
Ephesians 4:16 TPT
5. In union with him you too are being built together with all the others into a place where God lives through his Spirit.
Ephesians 2:22 GNT
Photo by Avel Chuklanov on Unsplash
4 responses to “Being Built Up”
This was just what I needed today, Chris. It’s been a rough week at work and I’ve been putting too much pressure on myself. Thank you!
You’re welcome. We all need a little grace.
Hadn’t heard that song before Chris about God creating the entire world in a week but He’s so patient that He’s still working on Me. Love it. I’ll be sharing that with my group. 😊
Sounds great! It was a song we learned in kids church. Such a powerful truth.