There was a study done to see how well preschool children could pay attention while being distracted. When the distraction was going on, they had to repeat the instructions and reminders several times to keep the kids on task. I’m not sure the study would be much different for most of us. As we mature, we should build the capacity to pay attention even through distractions. Our lives have many distractions trying to pull us away from the things that matter and from what God is saying. Now more than ever, we need to learn to focus and block out distraction, so we can pay attention. “Paying” attention will cost you something, but the return on that investment is invaluable.
Here are some Bible verses on paying attention.
1. So pay careful attention to your hearts as you listen to my teaching, for to those who have open hearts, even more revelation will be given to them until it overflows. And for those who do not listen with open hearts, what little light they imagine themselves to have will be taken away.
Luke 8:18 TPT
2. Pay attention to what you are taught, and you will be successful; trust in the Lord and you will be happy.
Proverbs 16:20 GNT
3. Heed (pay attention to) instruction and be wise, And do not ignore or neglect it.
Proverbs 8:33 AMP
4. If I pay attention to all your commands, then I will not be put to shame.
Psalm 119:6 GNT
5. Then He (Jesus) said to them, “Pay attention to what you hear. By your own standard of measurement [that is, to the extent that you study spiritual truth and apply godly wisdom] it will be measured to you [and you will be given even greater ability to respond]—and more will be given to you besides.
Mark 4:24 AMP
Photo by fran innocenti on Unsplash