In the beginning, the first thing God spoke into existence was light. All life and growth are dependent on light. It’s no wonder that John compared Jesus to light and said that His light was the life of men. Jesus didn’t wait very long into His ministry before He called us to be light. Not only are we to dispel the darkness wherever we go, we are to bring life and growth. Don’t hide your light. There are too many people who need you to shine it into their lives. Be a person of light!
Here are some Bible verses on being people of light.
1. The light of the righteous [within him—grows brighter and] rejoices, But the lamp of the wicked [is a temporary light and] goes out.
Proverbs 13:9 AMP
2. For once you were full of darkness, but now you have light from the Lord. So live as people of light!
Ephesians 5:8 NLT
3. “Believe in the light, then, while you have it, so that you will be the people of the light.” After Jesus said this, he went off and hid himself from them.
John 12:36 GNT
4. For you are all sons of light and sons of day. We do not belong to the night nor to darkness. So then let us not sleep [in spiritual indifference] as the rest [of the world does], but let us keep wide awake [alert and cautious] and let us be sober [self-controlled, calm, and wise].
1 Thessalonians 5:5-6 AMP
5. So don’t hide your light! Let it shine brightly before others, so that your commendable works will shine as light upon them, and then they will give their praise to your Father in heaven.
Matthew 5:16 TPT
Thanks to Chris Moore for making this photo available on unsplash
2 responses to “People Of Light”
A recent Our Daily Bread devotional reminded me that letting our light shine isn’t just talking about sharing the gospel—though that’s important. We shine our light when we use our God given talents to honor Him.
I agree with them. Our light is His love in us. We shine when we share the Gospel, help those in need, use our talents and do things that give honor to God. We need to be bringing clarity and life wherever we go.