When we were kids, one of my dad’s favorite sayings to us was, “Do as I say. Don’t do as I do!” Of course as kids, we did what we saw rather than what we heard. We followed the example that we saw. Now that I’m a parent, I see the same thing in my child. His actions follow my example. If I get onto him for it, his reply is, “But you just did it.” It’s in our human nature to follow the example set by those who have led us. Actions teach better than words.
As Christians, the same rules apply. You don’t have to be a pastor, or a church leader, to have people see the example of how you live as a Christian. None of us have the luxury of saying, “Do as I say. Don’t do as I do.” Each of us are an example to someone whether we know it or not. Our lives should reflect what we say we believe – not just on Sundays. You are an example of what a Christian is to someone in your life. Live it as an example of a life not of perfection, but one that trusts God.
Here are some Bible verses on being an example.
1. And in all things show yourself to be an example of good works, with purity in doctrine [having the strictest regard for integrity and truth], dignified, sound and beyond reproach in instruction, so that the opponent [of the faith] will be shamed, having nothing bad to say about us.
TITUS 2:7-8 AMP
2. Don’t lord it over the people assigned to your care, but lead them by your own good example.
1 Peter 5:3 NLT
3. Have this same attitude in yourselves which was in Christ Jesus [look to Him as your example in selfless humility].
PHILIPPIANS 2:5 AMP
4. Don’t let anyone think less of you because you are young. Be an example to all believers in what you say, in the way you live, in your love, your faith, and your purity.
1 Timothy 4:12 NLT
5. Pay close attention, son, and let my life be your example.
Proverbs 23:26 GNT