“Dedicated” is a word we use a lot in Christianity. We dedicate our lives to God. We dedicate our children to the Lord. We dedicate songs, work, and other things to Him as well. I often think of it is giving something to Him, but it’s deeper than that. To dedicate our life to Him is to have a single-minded loyalty to Him. We can’t say we’ve truly dedicated our life to Him when we split our loyalty between what He wants and what we want.
James 1:8 put it like this, “Their loyalty is divided between God and the world, and they are unstable in everything they do” (NLT). Either we are dedicated to Him singular in purpose, or we live lives that are unstable. God’s desire is that we live our lives dedicated to Him with a single-minded mentality. He wants us to trust His plan for our lives and His way of living. Anything less allows instability and chaos.
I have been hearing God’s call to us as believers to truly dedicate our lives to Him. This week, I’m sharing scriptures on being dedicated.
1. Those who make themselves clean from all those evil things, will be used for special purposes, because they are dedicated and useful to their Master, ready to be used for every good deed.
2 Timothy 2:21 GNT
2. [Come] and, like living stones, be yourselves built [into] a spiritual house, for a holy (dedicated, consecrated) priesthood, to offer up [those] spiritual sacrifices [that are] acceptable and pleasing to God through Jesus Christ.
1 Peter 2:5 AMP
3. Think carefully before you promise an offering to God. You might regret it later.
Proverbs 20:25 GNT
4. One day as these men were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, “Dedicate Barnabas and Saul for the special work to which I have called them.” So after more fasting and prayer, the men laid their hands on them and sent them on their way.
Acts of the Apostles 13:2-3 NLT
5. Dedicate them to yourself by means of the truth; your word is truth. I sent them into the world, just as you sent me into the world. And for their sake I dedicate myself to you, in order that they, too, may be truly dedicated to you.
John 17:17-19 GNT