June 25, 2019 · 6:01 AM
In the beginning, after God created the heavens and the earth, the first thing He spoke into existence was light. That light pierced the darkness of the void that was there. It was the first thing because light is necessary for us to see and for life to begin. In fact, the light that is visible to our eyes is only a fraction of the light spectrum. It’s incredible to think that only a portion of what God spoke that day is visible to us. It’s even more incredible that those words are still creating light as the universe expands. When God speaks something into existence, it’s not just temporary and we can’t see the whole thing.
I love how John 1 starts out. “In the beginning the Word already existed. The Word was with God, and the Word was God” (NLT). We know from reading more that the Word was Jesus. But if we keep going, He was more than the Word. Verses 4-5 say, “The Word gave life to everything that was created, and his life brought light to everyone. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness can never extinguish it.” As physical light gives light and pierced the darkness, Jesus does the same thing. He was sent here to give us that light and to make us the light of the world.
Psalm 97:11 says, “Light-seeds are planted in the souls of God’s people” (MSG). He has spoken light into your life and planted it deep within you. It’s up to you to cultivate those seeds of light and grow them so that your light is visible to others. It’s our responsibility to use that light to give life wherever we go and to pierce the darkness around us. The first thing that God spoke into existence has been planted in you through Jesus. It’s a great responsibility to have as well. What are you doing with those seeds? Are they laying dormant in you? Have they sprung up to illuminate your life and those around you? Are they reproducing? Are they increasing in their brightness? Let’s not waste the light seeds we’ve been given.
Photo by Rhett Wesley on Unsplash
Filed under Uncategorized
Tagged as be the light, christian living, Christianity, cultivating light, Devotional, devotional on, god has given us light, god spoke light into existence, Jesus is the light, light, light within us, we are the light, we are the light of the world, what does the bible say about
December 8, 2017 · 5:00 AM
John 1 starts out by saying, “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God” (KJV). It’s always been curious to me that John described Jesus as “The Word”. When you go back to the Genesis account of creation, the very first words attributed to God are, “Let there be light.” I believe John called Jesus “The Word” in this context, because Jesus is light, and the light God created that day is still shining.
After God spoke light into existence, He sent His light into our world with the birth of His Son. Jesus is not just The Word Of God, He’s the Light of the World. You and I don’t have to walk in darkness, nor is there any darkness that can overpower the light He has put inside of you. We were meant to live in the light with The Light. Chase away whatever darkness is coming against you with the name of Jesus who is The Word Of God full of light.
Here are some Bible verses about Jesus being the Light.
1. The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light. They lived in a land of shadows, but now light is shining on them… A child is born to us! A son is given to us! And he will be our ruler. He will be called, “Wonderful Counselor,” “Mighty God,” “Eternal Father,” “Prince of Peace.”
Isaiah 9:2, 6 GNT
2. The Word was the source of life, and this life brought light to people. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has never put it out.
John 1:4-5 GNT
3. Arise [from spiritual depression to a new life], shine [be radiant with the glory and brilliance of the LORD ]; for your light has come, And the glory and brilliance of the LORD has risen upon you.
ISAIAH 60:1 AMP
4. Once more Jesus addressed the crowd. He said, “ I am the Light of the world. He who follows Me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the Light of life.”
JOHN 8:12 AMP
5. And I saw the holy city, the new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven like a bride beautifully dressed for her husband… And the city has no need of sun or moon, for the glory of God illuminates the city, and the Lamb is its light.
Revelation 21:2, 23 NLT
Photo by Kristine Weilert on Unsplash
Filed under Uncategorized
Tagged as advent, bible, bible verses, Christianity, Christmas, christmas devotion, Devotion, Devotional, hope, Jesus, Jesus is the light, let there be light, light, light of life, light of the world, the word was with God