One of the Fruits of the Spirit that seems to be ever diminishing in our world today is kindness. With having placed an importance on other fruits, the ability to be friendly, generous and considerate to others, especially those we disagree with, has escaped us. Instead, many of us have adopted the “kill or be killed” attitude as a defense mechanism. That’s the opposite of what Jesus taught. He told us to love our enemies, and to do good to them expecting nothing in return. We are not to repay evil for evil, but are to be kind to even those who are against us. Why? Because we are a reflection of the Father, and the Bible says that it’s God’s kindness that leads us (and our enemies) to repentance.
Jesus even told the Parable of the Good Samaritan. It was the Samaritan who was honored in the story because he showed kindness to his neighbor. If we are on,y being kind to those who like us, how are we any different than the world? The great news is that Holy Spirit is at work in your life. Ask Him to plant seeds of kindness in your heart so He can produce that fruit. Each of us can stand to be more kind to others. In today’s world, that would really cause us to stand out, but it would also help us to love our neighbors as we love ourselves. Kindness matters, and so do the eternal destiny of every person around you. God’s desire is that none would perish, so let’s show His kindness to everyone we meet.
Here are some Bible verses on kindness.
1. But instead be kind and affectionate toward one another. Has God graciously forgiven you? Then graciously forgive one another in the depths of Christ’s love.
Ephesians 4:32 TPT
2. This is what the Lord of Heaven’s Armies says: Judge fairly, and show mercy and kindness to one another.
Zechariah 7:9 NLT
3. But I say to you who hear [Me and pay attention to My words]: Love [that is, unselfishly seek the best or higher good for] your enemies, [make it a practice to] do good to those who hate you, bless and show kindness to those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.
LUKE 6:27-28 AMP
4. By our purity, knowledge, patience, and kindness we have shown ourselves to be God’s servants—by the Holy Spirit, by our true love, by our message of truth, and by the power of God. We have righteousness as our weapon, both to attack and to defend ourselves.
2 Corinthians 6:6-7 GNT
5. Let love and kindness be the motivation behind all that you do.
1 Corinthians 16:14 TPT