Mercy is a word we hardly use anymore. In the Bible, it means to be moved with compassion at the sight of someone in serious need and to show kindness to them. It’s a word that is often attributed to God when He sees us knowing we are in need of Him. It’s also something that you and I are called to show to others. We not only need mercy, but we’re to have the heart of God and show compassion and kindness to others who need it. Each day I take time to thank God for His mercy towards me. I not only want to receive it though, I want to give it. In the Sermon on the Mount in Matthew 5, Jesus told us that the merciful are blessed and would receive mercy themselves. Ask God to show you mercy today and also look for opportunities to show kindness and mercy to someone on God’s behalf today.
Here are some Bible verses on being merciful.
1. Therefore let us [with privilege] approach the throne of grace [that is, the throne of God’s gracious favor] with confidence and without fear, so that we may receive mercy [for our failures] and find [His amazing] grace to help in time of need [an appropriate blessing, coming just at the right moment].
Hebrews 4:16 AMP
2. Celebrate with praises the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has shown us his extravagant mercy. For his fountain of mercy has given us a new life—we are reborn to experience a living, energetic hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.
1 Peter 1:3 TPT
3. The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.
Lamentations 3:22-23 ESV
4. So it is God who decides to show mercy. We can neither choose it nor work for it.
Romans 9:16 NLT
5. Be merciful (responsive, compassionate, tender) just as your [heavenly] Father is merciful.
Luke 6:36 AMP
Photo by Alexas Fotos: