We’ve all heard stories, and maybe some of you have experienced it, where a pregnant woman gets an intense craving for a food. No matter what time it is, she or her husband have to go out and get it to satisfy that craving. There are other times when you’re sitting there and think, “It’d be nice if I had ice cream,” but you don’t go out and get it because you simply would like to have some. That’s the difference between desire and want. Desire is this deep inner craving that won’t go away until you do something to satisfy it.
It’s important to understand the two because the Bible has a lot to say about desire. Our flesh certainly desires things that are often contrary to what God wants. Then there’s God’s spirit living in us that desires things opposite of our flesh. There is a constant war within us over which desires we should satisfy. Fasting is a great way to learn to tell the desires of your flesh, “No!” Through discipline, reading God’s Word and prayer, you can make God’s desires your desires and learn to fight back against those desires that still exist, but are contrary to what He wants for you.
Here are some Bible Verses on desire.
1. When we were controlled by our old nature, sinful desires were at work within us, and the law aroused these evil desires that produced a harvest of sinful deeds, resulting in death. But now we have been released from the law, for we died to it and are no longer captive to its power. Now we can serve God, not in the old way of obeying the letter of the law, but in the new way of living in the Spirit.
Romans 7:5-6 NLT
2. The desires of good people lead straight to the best, but wicked ambition ends in angry frustration.
Proverbs 11:23 MSG
3. Create a new, clean heart within me. Fill me with pure thoughts and holy desires, ready to please you.
Psalms 51:10 TPT
4. I always do what God commands; I follow his will, not my own desires.
Job 23:12 GNT
5. Make God the utmost delight and pleasure of your life, and he will provide for you what you desire the most.
Psalms 37:4 TPT
Photo by Hush Naidoo on Unsplash