Slave. That word conjures up so many emotions and ugly images in our heads. No one wants to be a slave, nor do they want to be treated like one. Slaves are not allowed to have a will of their own. They must do what they are told without any hesitation. They are owned and controlled by someone else. Slavery affects how you think, how you act, and how you view yourself. I can’t imagine anyone wanting to be a slave.
The New Testament uses the word slave to describe humans. We like to think we are free, but the truth is, we are all slaves. We are either shaves to our human nature or we are slaves to Christ. One holds us down, bound in chains. The other sets us free spiritually because we are no longer bound to our sinful fate. Being a slave of Jesus means that our lives, thoughts, and actions are dominated by a desire to please Him rather than ourselves.
That we are all slaves is a hard concept for us to adopt given our thoughts on slavery. To help us understand better, here are 10 verses in the Bible that deal with us being slaves.
1. So Jesus called them all together and said, “You know that the rulers of the heathen have power over them, and the leaders have complete authority. This, however, is not the way it shall be among you. If one of you wants to be great, you must be the servant of the rest; and if one of you wants to be first, you must be the slave of the others— like the Son of Man, who did not come to be served, but to serve and to give his life to redeem many people.”
Matthew 20:25-28 GNT
2. Now a slave does not remain in a household permanently (forever); the son [of the house] does remain forever. So if the Son liberates you [makes you free men], then you are really and unquestionably free.
John 8:35-36 AMP
3. Just because something is technically legal doesn’t mean that it’s spiritually appropriate. If I went around doing whatever I thought I could get by with, I’d be a slave to my whims.
1 Corinthians 6:12 MSG
4. I am a free man, nobody’s slave; but I make myself everybody’s slave in order to win as many people as possible.
1 Corinthians 9:19 GNT
5. So you are no longer a slave, but a son, and if a son, then an heir through God.
Galatians 4:7 ESV
6. They brag about themselves with empty, foolish boasting. With an appeal to twisted sexual desires, they lure back into sin those who have barely escaped from a lifestyle of deception. They promise freedom, but they themselves are slaves of sin and corruption. For you are a slave to whatever controls you.
2 Peter 2:18-19 NLT
7. Let this same attitude and purpose and [humble] mind be in you which was in Christ Jesus: [Let Him be your example in humility:] Who, although being essentially one with God and in the form of God [possessing the fullness of the attributes which make God God], did not think this equality with God was a thing to be eagerly grasped or retained, But stripped Himself [of all privileges and rightful dignity], so as to assume the guise of a servant (slave), in that He became like men and was born a human being.
Philippians 2:5-7 AMP
8. As slaves of Christ, do the will of God with all your heart.
Ephesians 6:6 NLT
9. But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.
Romans 6:17-18 ESV
10. You cannot be a slave of two masters; you will hate one and love the other; you will be loyal to one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.
Matthew 6:24 GNT