My friend Michael wrote an interesting article on his blog called “How To Start A Revival“. In it, he describes how our modern, technology driven world has robbed us of the age old discipline of uninterrupted thinking. He wrote, “We live in a culture immune to stillness and reflection.” He described how we as Christians are often plagued by this in our prayer life. We can’t sit through a time of prayer without thinking about what’s on social media, the news, apps, or our to-do lists.
As I read this article, I couldn’t help but think of how I, and so many others, have become distracted to the point that we can’t hardly give God five uninterrupted minutes of prayer, meditation, or deep thought. I believe we are seeing the ripple effect in the culture of the Church, and that has a ripple affect on our world. If we truly want to experience the depths of God, we are going to have to think deeply with Him, and that requires stillness and reflection.
Here are some examples and verses in the Bible about stillness and reflection.
1. I reflect at night on who you are, O LORD; therefore, I obey your instructions.
Psalms 119:55 NLT
2. Hear this, O Job; stand still and consider the wondrous works of God.
Job 37:14 AMP
3. Instead, I am content and at peace. As a child lies quietly in its mother’s arms, so my heart is quiet within me.
Psalm 131:2 GNT
4. I’m asking GOD for one thing, only one thing: To live with him in his house my whole life long. I’ll contemplate his beauty; I’ll study at his feet. That’s the only quiet, secure place in a noisy world, The perfect getaway, far from the buzz of traffic.
Psalm 27:4-5 MSG
5. Help me understand the meaning of your commandments, and I will meditate on your wonderful deeds.
Psalms 119:27 NLT
6. This Book of the Law shall not depart out of your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, that you may observe and do according to all that is written in it. For then you shall make your way prosperous, and then you shall deal wisely and have good success.
Joshua 1:8 AMP
7. I will remember your great deeds, Lord; I will recall the wonders you did in the past. I will think about all that you have done; I will meditate on all your mighty acts.
Psalm 77:11-12 GNT
8. Be still, and know that I am God! I will be honored by every nation. I will be honored throughout the world.
Psalms 46:10 NLT
9. BLESSED (HAPPY, fortunate, prosperous, and enviable) is the man who walks and lives not in the counsel of the ungodly [following their advice, their plans and purposes], nor stands [submissive and inactive] in the path where sinners walk, nor sits down [to relax and rest] where the scornful [and the mockers] gather. But his delight and desire are in the law of the Lord, and on His law (the precepts, the instructions, the teachings of God) he habitually meditates (ponders and studies) by day and by night.
Psalm 1:1-2 AMP
10. How amazing are the deeds of the LORD! All who delight in him should ponder them.
Psalms 111:2 NLT