In Mark 4:35-41, there’s a story we’re all familiar with. Jesus made the decision for He and the disciples to cross the Sea of Galilee. Several boats followed them too. While they were crossing the sea, the Amplified Bible says, “A fierce windstorm began to blow, and waves were breaking over the boat, so that it was already being swamped.” The disciples panicked because the boat was about to go under. Where was Jesus during all this? Soundly asleep in the stern of the boat. They woke Him and asked, “Do you not care that we are about to die?” Verse 39 says, “And He got up and [sternly] rebuked the wind and said to the sea, ‘Hush, be still (muzzled)!’ And the wind died down [as if it had grown weary] and there was [at once] a great calm [a perfect peacefulness].”
If you’re like me, your boat feels like it’s taking on water and that it could capsize. The winds and waves are beating against it and are overwhelming. You might be wondering where Jesus is in all of this. Doesn’t He care that the world is on lock down? Doesn’t He care that so many of us have lost our jobs, businesses and work? I can tell you that one word from Him can calm the storm, but more than that, He can speak one word to you and send a great calm of perfect peacefulness into your life. God has always been your source of money, of security and of peace. I know it’s hard not to feel overwhelmed right now, but if you’ll take your eyes off the storm and turn them to Him, you’ll find the peace you need.
Here are some Bible verses on not being overwhelmed.
1. This is what I’ve learned through it all: All believers should confess their sins to God; do it every time God has uncovered you in the time of exposing. For if you do this, when sudden storms of life overwhelm, you’ll be kept safe.
Psalms 32:6 TPT
2. When you pass through deep waters, I will be with you; your troubles will not overwhelm you. When you pass through fire, you will not be burned; the hard trials that come will not hurt you.
Isaiah 43:2 GNT
3. We’ve been overwhelmed with grief; come now and overwhelm us with gladness. Replace our years of trouble with decades of delight.
Psalms 90:15 TPT
4. Do not let the floodwater overwhelm me, Nor the deep waters swallow me up, Nor the pit [of Sheol] shut its mouth over me.
Psalms 69:15 AMP
5. No evil can overwhelm a good person, but the wicked have their hands full of it.
Proverbs 12:21 MSG
And everything I’ve taught you is so that the peace which is in me will be in you and will give you great confidence as you rest in me. For in this unbelieving world you will experience trouble and sorrows, but you must be courageous, for I have conquered the world!
John 16:33 TPT