When we pray, we typically have no issue asking God for things. We ask Him to meet our needs, to heal our sickness, to open doors and to bless our food. But how often do we ask God to bless us? It’s interesting that many of us have no problem asking God for help, but to ask Him to bless us seems to be selfish so we stay away from it. I believe that God wants to bless us and is waiting for us to ask Him for His blessings.
We can ask God to bless our relationships, our businesses, our churches and more. We don’t need to be afraid to ask or to think that God will think we’re selfish. I personally want all that God has for me. I even pray, “God give me what you want to give me that I don’t even know to ask for.” God has good gifts for us and He wants to bless us with them. We just need to be bold enough to ask for them.
Here are some scriptures on asking for blessings.
1. Remember, O my God, all that I have done for these people, and bless me for it.
Nehemiah 5:19 NLT
2. But Jabez prayed to the God of Israel, “Bless me, God, and give me much land. Be with me and keep me from anything evil that might cause me pain.” And God gave him what he prayed for.
1 Chronicles 4:10 GNT
3. Then he said, “Let me go, for the dawn is breaking.” But he said, “I will not let you go unless you bless me.”
Genesis 32:26 NASB
4. Please guarantee a blessing for me. Don’t let the arrogant oppress me!
Psalms 119:122 NLT
5. Bless me with your presence and teach me your laws.
Psalm 119:135 GNT