When we go camping, I love to go to remote places where there’s little to no light pollution. After the sun sets, it gets so dark that you can see more stars than you dreamed of. It’s amazing to be out there unless you’ve forgotten your flashlight. It’s happened before. Walking around at night with no light is very difficult. It’s easy to step into a hole or trip. The other issue is that when there isn’t any light, you’re susceptible to animal attacks. Without light, the tone of the camping trip changes.
Over and over in the Bible, it uses light as an example of who we are, who Jesus was and what God’s Word is. This world is a dark place, and without the light we bring to it, people stumble and are open to attacks. You and I have no light on our own. It’s important to have Jesus, the true light, living in us and to put God’s Word in our hearts. That way our lives are full of light and we can show the way to God to others.
Here are several verses in the Bible on living in and being light.
1. For once you were full of darkness, but now you have light from the Lord. So live as people of light!
Ephesians 5:8 NLT
2. “While you have the Light, believe and trust in the Light [have faith in it, hold on to it, rely on it], so that you may become sons of Light [being filled with Light as followers of God].” Jesus said these things, and then He left and hid Himself from them.
JOHN 12:36 AMP
3. In the same way your light must shine before people, so that they will see the good things you do and praise your Father in heaven.
Matthew 5:16 GNT
4. But let us who live in the light be clearheaded, protected by the armor of faith and love, and wearing as our helmet the confidence of our salvation.
1 Thessalonians 5:8 NLT
5. But you are the chosen race, the King’s priests, the holy nation, God’s own people, chosen to proclaim the wonderful acts of God, who called you out of darkness into his own marvelous light.
1 Peter 2:9 GNT