When I go on vacation, I prefer beach vacations. I enjoy getting in the ocean and fighting with the waves. I’ll usually walk out to where the waves are crashing and then lean into them with my shoulder. It’s a challenge to me to see if I can remain standing when the waves are hitting me. Sometimes I lose my footing and the wave crashes down on my head. I usually have to take a minute to get my bearings, and once I do, I head back out into the waves to continue testing myself to see how long I can stand firm against an endless supply of waves.
I like to think of that as a metaphor for life. Sometimes it can seem like we’re standing right where the waves crash and it’s all we can do to continue standing. There are times when the enemy comes in like a flood against us and it can be overwhelming. If you and i will trust in God’s promises, we can stand firm against anything that comes against us. We may get knocked down every now and then, but that’s all right. We just need to get back up, find our footing again and continue standing firm no matter what life brings.
Here are some Bible verses on standing firm.
1. So submit to [the authority of] God. Resist the devil [stand firm against him] and he will flee from you.
JAMES 4:7 AMP
2. Put on all of God’s armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil.
Ephesians 6:11 NLT
3. Be alert, stand firm in the faith, be brave, be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13 GNT
4. You can’t find firm footing in a swamp, but life rooted in God stands firm.
Proverbs 12:3 MSG
5. So now, beloved ones, stand firm, stable, and enduring. Live your lives with an unshakable confidence. We know that we prosper and excel in every season by serving the Lord, because we are assured that our union with the Lord makes our labor productive with fruit that endures.
1 Corinthians 15:58 TPT